Friday, December 3

Turning 30

I haven't turned 30 yet, but I've been thinking about it since just before I turned 29. I don't know that I have much to say about it, but I found some reflections here. I particularly enjoy item 20

The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty... The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits. (Hervey Allen)
.

I'm not freaked out about 30, but it is definitely a milestone. I'm not quite where I thought I'd be when I thought about being 30 when I was 10 or 15, but I'm quite happy with where I am. I've got a permanent, steady job with benefits after being out of regular employment for a year and a half, I am now married to my perfect partner, we have a house we have bought to grow into, and have plans to start trying to get pregnant in the new year.

Perhaps it's that I've matured quite a bit in the past few years, or the fact that my husband turned 40 before I had a chance to hit 30, but I'm very relaxed about it. Turning 26 was the last time my birthday felt like a milestone. It might not to others, but I saw it like a gauge on a dashboard, with 20 being the low end and 30 being the high end. Turning 26 meant that gauge was now past the half-way point and I was now closer to 30 than I was to 20. 26 felt like a much bigger deal than the upcoming 30 is feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home